(The second in a series of posts, the first can be found Here)
Once: we’ve established that scientific data, pointing to the fact that the earth is in fact warming, exists, and that many respectable people, institutions, governments and individuals have both seen it, documented it, researched it, analyzed it and deducted from it.
And: regardless at this point of weather or not you accept that Humans play a role in these changes.
There ARE in fact climate changes. And what is important to realize now is that these changes play a dual role:
(1) On one hand, they are caused by _____ (we’ll fight about that when Fox News presents their arguments in the 4th post) => and are therefore an EFFECT.
(2) On the other hand, they are, within themselves A CAUSE of ____ –> Exactly what this post will deal with:
The effects of global warming/ climate change/ temperature rises (whatever your congressman or news anchor wants you to call it) on us, the citizens of the world.
Main Primary Effects of Global Warming:
- Rising Sea Levels
- More severe storms, droughts, floods
- Changed migration patterns of various species (including humans!)
Main Secondary Effects of Global Warming:
- Health: Spread of diseases such as Malaria and increase in cardiovascular and respiratory related incidents
- Politics: Shifting of borders between countries, migration
- Economics: increasing costs
Since we have accepted that there is a rise in temperature, from there, the deduction of the primary and then of the secondary effects of global warming are mainly logic-based and the scientific data can be found in all of the articles I’ve linked here (and in the previous post).
From acknowledging these effects, one can then reach the logical conclusion that increased pathological incidences in health, increased destruction of populated areas and of tourist-oriented areas, all can be summed up into increased spending and decreased earning.
So, the earth is warming, and it will cause these events, but- where do we begin to fix it? And, more importantly- whose gonna pay for the fixing?
You know what you greedy readers? I know that no matter how much I go on about HOW and WHAT to fix, you’re gonna keep thinking about WHOSE GONNA PAY. So, whadya say we jump right into that one first?
You. and me. All of us are going to pay. Money makes the world go round. More specifically- our money goes into other people’s pockets and they make the world go round.
Should we increase taxes to cover global warming prevention and, slowing and solving costs? if you ask me the answer is no. Take it from the defense budget. From the homeland and internal security budget. From the ministry of foreign affairs budget. From the “pay-off wall-street” budget. Now, do I think that a president that just sent 150,000 ADDITIONAL soldiers to Afghanistan will do that? No. But just because our leaders insist on spending all of our money to make their jobs more exciting, doesn’t mean we shouldn’t be paying to deal with a problem that actually exists. And just because our leaders are BFFs with the people and organizations causing the most damage, doesn’t mean we should pay with our health or money for the increasing health spending and for buying the Saudi Prince Pop-tarts when he comes to visit cause those are his favorite bedtime treat, and all because we rely on him for oil.
Who else should pay? Industries that are directly involved. Obviously- General Motors, Microsoft and George W. Bush have a larger Carbon Footprint than I do, so they should pay more (they also just plain have a lot more money than me and should pay more, but I guess that’s a whole different box of Wheaties!)
STOP! I know what some of you wise-asses are saying to yourselves (while checking that no random penny has suddenly vanished from your wallet just from reading this), you’re saying: “ok, there will be costs, and we will pay, but if we can’t calculate EXACTLY how much, how do we know if we’re not going to spend too much on this carbon bullshit? How can I know that by giving 3 pennies I’m not losing 1.04 pennies because it will one day turn out that I could have given 1.96 pennies and gotten the same result?”
Point taken corrupt readers. Money matters to you. Every penny. Forget that your govt. is currently spending all of your money on blowing up people halfway around the world for no reason, you’re not willing to lose a penny to the environment unless it saves you from losing 2 pennies tomorrow.
This can be answered on 3 levels:
(1) You are corrupt morons that seem to think you’re so smart by yelling about public spending when it comes to the environment, but when it comes to yelling about public spending about, hmmmm lets see, basically ANYTHING else, including your govt. sacrificing your lives for anything that comes to their mind, THAT you’re quiet about.
(2) Transitioning to “Green(er) Energy”: investing in this transition is in our interest REGARDLESS of exactly how much money it takes to slow down global warming, because (video) (a) its in the political interest of many-a-country today to reduce their dependence on the unstable, inhumane, violent regimes that are in charge of a majority of the world’s energy sources and (b) its in our interest as citizens because in the long-run it decreases our energy expenses and is healthier.
Hold on! What is this green energy everyone is talking about?! It’s everywhere! This (several short videos) is what we mean when we say Green Energy. Or, if you’re the wiki-type, this. And, if that wasn’t enough, they list the benefits.
(3) You’re right. No one will be able to give us an exact number. And we should make sure that our governments don’t just use this as another excuse to rip us off. But hey, we’ve accepted changes are happening, we’ve accepted they will cause events that will require larger future spending- obviously SOME amount of money, an amount that can lead to a SIGNIFICANT CHANGE and not just a symbolic (“look, I’m helping”) good-will donation, is necessary.
Remember there were 2 questions?
(1) Whose gonna pay (Check!).
(2) How do we fix it? (and we’ve even already trotted a bit into that territory with the green energy point).
Next post we’ll go double-007 on our own little (or big) asses and talk about practical solutions, to what we now all agree is a practical problem, and not the practical joke Fox News seems to think it is.